Get in the mood with 3 St. Patrick’s Day Food and Wine Pairing Ideas, by making everything green, including each dish that will appear on your dinner menu! Our celebratory recipes are best paired with Weed Cellars wines, one of which comes in a festive green bottle that’s perfect for the 17th.
Avocado Arugula Salad – pair with Weed Cellars Chenin Blanc Viognier
Expressive flavors of ripe fruit dominate Weed Cellars Chenin Blanc Viognier, making it the perfect match for a crisp salad with a touch of fruit. Refreshing acidity and a round mouthfeel allows the wine to stand up against the piquant balsamic vinaigrette.
Total Time: 10 minutes
2 ½ cups arugula
2 ½ cup spinach
1 apple, diced
2 avocados, diced
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
¼ cup sliced almonds
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients:
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup olive oil
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil in a small mixing bowl, until all the ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- Place the arugula, sliced almonds, spinach, apple, avocado, and cucumber in a large bowl and toss.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and serve.
Pesto Rotini – pair with Weed Cellars Sauvignon Blanc
Honeydew melon, lime, and freshly cut grass harmonize on the palate of Weed Cellars Sauvignon Blanc. These ‘green’ notes make it the ideal pairing partner for pasta that’s made with a basil-based sauce.
Total Time: 25 minutes
1lb rotini pasta
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh basil leaf
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese + more for garnish
1/3 cup cashews
1 Tablespoon + 1/3 cup olive oil
½ teaspoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons salt + salt to taste
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 ½ cups fresh spinach
- Fill a medium pot ¾ of the way with water and bring it to a boil. Stir in the rotini, cooking it for the amount of time listed on the packet. When the pasta is al dente, scoop out one cup of water and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- To a small skillet, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute, then add the spinach and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté for another two minutes. Set aside.
- To a food processor, add the basil, Parmesan, cashews, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1½ teaspoons salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Blend until your pesto sauce has your desired consistency.
- Pour the pesto over a large skillet over low heat. Add ½ cup of pasta water to thin out the sauce. Add the spinach and cooked pasta, tossing to coat. Utilize the pasta water as needed and add salt to taste.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan and serve.
Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies – pair with Weed Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
The silky tannins of Weed Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon pair well with the velvety texture of these fudge brownie cookies. The sweetness of this rich dessert will bring out the lush, ripe berry flavors of the wine.
Total Time: 50 minutes
½ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
¾ cup white granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1/8 cup + 1/8 cup M&Ms
½ cup butter
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
3 small eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, use a handheld electric mixer to beat the cocoa powder, eggs, white granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, coconut oil and butter at medium speed for five minutes. Fold in the salt, baking powder and flour until combined. Stir in 1/8 cup of M&Ms
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat the over to 350F.
- Cover the batter and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Scoop balls of dough around 1-inch in diameter onto the baking sheets, placing them about one two inches apart from each other. Plant the remaining M&Ms on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes, let cool and serve.